Monday, October 6, 2014

For class October 13

For class October 13

We will begin and hopefully complete the individual components of the group project during class-- bring whatever supplies you need.

For your blog, please take one of the quotes below as a starting point, and reflect on how it relates to your own experience or studio practice. Perhaps use it as a jumping off point. There will be one other week where you will do the same assignment with the same choice of quotes.

CORY ARCANGEL
“Keep doing what you like to do. That’s all it is.”

JEAN-MICHEL BASQUIAT
“I start a picture and I finish it. I don’t think about art while I work. I try to think about life.”

LYNDA BENGLIS
“I totally believe that art is an open dialogue and that it is not logical. It does not always make sense.”

EDWARD HOPPER
“So many people say painting is fun. I don’t find it fun at all. It’s hard work for me.”

YAYOI KUSAMA
“I fight pain, anxiety, and fear every day, and the only method I have found that relieves my illness is to keep creating art. I followed the thread of art and somehow discovered a path that would allow me to live.”

GLENN LIGON
“My job is not to produce answers. My job is to produce good questions.”

AGNES MARTIN
“That which takes us by surprise—moments of happiness—that is inspiration.”

ANA MENDIETA
“My art is the way I reestablish the bonds that tie me to the universe.”

ELIZABETH MURRAY
“I want to make a beautiful, beautiful thing, something that gives you ideas about how life can be.”

BRUCE NAUMAN
“What is it that an artist does when he is left alone in his studio? My conclusion was that if I was an artist and I was in the studio, then everything I was doing in the studio should be art . . . . From that point on, art became more of an activity and less of a product.”

LOUISE NEVELSON
“I always wanted to show the world that art is everywhere, except it has to pass through a creative mind.”

GEORGIA O’KEEFFE
“I found that I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn’t say in any other way—things that I had no words for.”

SUSAN ROTHENBERG
“I think artists almost always end up turning to what’s around them, what’s in their environment or outside their window.”

CINDY SHERMAN
“I wanted to create something that people could relate to without having read a book about it beforehand.”
 
KIKI SMITH
“I think making things beautiful is important. But often what’s first considered ugly is beautiful, too.”

CHUCK CLOSE
“Inspiration is for amateurs.”

SAMUEL BECKETT
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."

LARRY RIVERS TO DAVID HOCKNEY
"Do you want your work to be beautiful or interesting?"

No comments:

Post a Comment